Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering.
At Northiam, we believe a high quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
Utilising the mastery approach ensures that every child, in every maths lesson, is both challenged and supported in order to develop their mathematical thinking and resilience.
Through implementation of the mastery approach we aim to:
- Promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for mathematics
- Help children think logically and clearly and develop independence in their own learning
- Encourage children to develop a growth mindset in order to be resilient in the face of challenge
- Develop in all children a confidence and competence with numbers
- Develop the ability for rapid recall of number facts and times tables
- Use knowledge in a range of contexts to solve problems involving reasoning skills
Our maths curriculum ensures that pupils leave Northiam C of E Primary with the mathematical skills they need for success in secondary school and their future.