- We want to support parents to help their children at home.
- We want a consistent approach so parents and children know what to expect.
- We want to consolidate and reinforce learning.
- We want to encourage skills of independence & resilience.
- We want homework to be achievable and enjoyable, not onerous or create stress.
Overview of Expectations
- Homework will be set by each class teacher.
- Each class’s homework grid can be found their class page.
Weekly tasks include;
- Reading – minimum of three times per week with parents signing Reading Record books to help establish a good reading pattern with children
- Learning a spelling list (these will be tested each week)
- Focus of homework is learning together – focus is mainly English based to support language development.
- Reading- parents will receive information about the phonics work we are completing so you can support with this at home. We ask that parents read TO their children on a regular basis as well as encouraging children to read TO parents were they are able.
- Letter formation – parents are asked to help children with their writing, being able to form letters makes a big difference to their writing.
- Key Words & Tricky Words – we will share these with parents and ask you to spend time looking at them with your child.
KS1 (Y1 & Y2)
- Focus is on Maths & English.
- Reading three times a week for approx. 10-15mins each time (minimum).
- Parents should continue to balance reading to their child and hearing their child read.
KS2 (Y3, 4, 5 & 6)
- Focus is Maths & English but important skill is independent learning!
- Reading three times a week for approx. 20-30mins each time (minimum).
- It is vital that children still hear adults reading to them as good models to copy!
- It is vital that children discuss what they have read!
Please note: The children will be tested weekly on their timestables as this is a weak point for most of the children and a crucial part of their learning! The children need to be reciting their timestables at home, whenever and wherever possible!