Pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in state-funded schools are all eligible for free schools meals. However, if you meet the criteria for free school meals for older children (see below), please still apply to register your child, as the School will benefit from very significant additional funding – Free School Meal Funding and Pupil Premium. Don’t let your child miss out!
Further information can be found on the following link:
For other children in Year 3 or above, free school meals can be provided to parents or carers if they are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit only, if your annual household income (assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) isn’t over £16,190. Anyone getting Working Tax Credit won’t get free meals regardless of income
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Children will continue to receive free school meals if they meet the existing eligibility criteria and are in receipt of full-time education or education both before and after the lunch period.
What to do if you think you are entitled?
You can apply online for free school meals to East Sussex County Council School Meals Team by clicking on the following link:
The Electronic Checking Service might be able to confirm entitlement. If not, you’ll need to show recent proof that you qualify. Meals cannot be given until eligibility is verified.
For further information and asssistance, please contact the East Sussex Admissions and Transport Team who administer Free School Meals:
Opening hours for enquiries
Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm.
For general enquiries you can contact:
Admissions and Transport Team
St Anne’s Crescent,
East Sussex BN7 1UE
See a map of this address
Call us on 0300 330 9472
Any child entitled to Free School Meals attracts additional funding to the School Budget which can provide additional resources to support their learning.